A major update to the Nintendo Switch just launched — here are all the changes
The Nintendo Switch just got its first major update since launch.
The update, dubbed "3.0.0," is mostly about adding so-called "quality of life" features. What this means for the average user is Nintendo added a bunch of little conveniences that were missing. What kind of conveniences?
"Find paired controllers within communication range by activating the vibration feature," is one of particular interest — this enables you to find missing Joy-Con gamepads by telling them to vibrate wherever they may be.
That's a pretty important feature considering how small the Joy-Con are, and considering that children/teens tend to be primary users of Nintendo's consoles — exactly the right demographic for misplaced video game controllers.
There are a few components of the update specifically tied to fixing issues with the Switch. One issue of particular import involves the HDMI connection between the Switch and modern HD televisions, which causes some TVs to auto-detect the Switch and constantly bug users to change inputs. For some Switch owners, the TV straight up auto-switches to the Switch input source while the console is in sleep mode — a frustrating issue if you're trying to use the Switch as a home console alongside other input sources (like, say, an Apple TV, or other game consoles).
We've got the full update list below, care of Nintendo — it's available to download right now on the Nintendo Switch, and can be found in the system settings menu.
"Improvements included in Version 3.0.0 — Added the following system functionality:
- Register a channel to receive News for specific games
To register, head to News > Find Channels
- Add friends from your Nintendo 3DS and Wii U Friend Lists
To add friends, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Friend Suggestions
- Receive notifications when your Friends go online
To turn this ON/OFF, head to System Settings > Notifications > Friend Notifications
- Find paired controllers within communication range by activating the vibration feature
To search, head to Controllers > Find Controllers
- Change the user icon order on the Home Menu
To change order, head to System Settings > Users > Change Order
- Select from 6 new Splatoon 2 characters for user icon
To edit your user icon, head to your My Page on the top left of the Home Menu > Profile
- Change the system volume from the Quick Settings
To access Quick Settings, hold down the HOME Button
- Lower the maximum volume for headphone or speakers connected to the audio jack
To lower the max headphone volume, head to System Settings > System > Lower Max Headphone Volume
* This settings will be ON when Parental Controls are enabled
- Change display colors to Invert Colors or Grayscale
To use this feature, head to System Settings > System > Change Display Colors
- Use the Nintendo Switch Pro Controller via wired communication by connecting the USB charging cable
To enable, head to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Pro Controller Wired Communication
* The NFC touchpoint on the Pro Controller will be disabled while the controller is using wired communication.
- Update connected controllers
To update, head to System Settings > Controllers and Sensors > Update Controllers
- Added a feature that suggests deletion of software data if there is insufficient space when downloading other software
To use this feature, head to System Settings > Data Management > Quick Archive
* User save data is not deleted
General system stability improvements to enhance the user's experience, including:
- Resolved an issue that caused game software updates to fail and prevented the software from starting
- Improvements to prevent unintended HDMI input change with certain TVs while the console is docked in Sleep Mode"